St Stephen’s Church
Until 1911, a lookout and fireplace watch lived in a specifically furnished dwelling within the tower, high above the rooftops of town; at some stage, triplets were born there. Today, St. Stephen’s presents itself as a hall church with a standard layout of a nave and two facet aisles whose Gothic vaults have not but been restored. The walls are finished in white, creating a beautiful distinction to the pink sandstone of the supporting development parts. The backside a part of the spacious steeple as much as the pointed arch frieze dates in all probability back to Willigis’s church. The dome and lantern had been put in place for the city’s 2000th anniversary in 1962.
The success of our Church depends on participation from people such as you. Until 1911, a lookout still lived as hearth-watcher in a specifically furnished dwelling in the tower, excessive above the roofs; triplets have been even as soon as born right here. The constructor of the cathedral was himself laid to rest in St. Stephen’s in 1011.
Tombstones and the coats of arms of the capitular households recall their reminiscence. The coats of arms are enriched by fashionable keystones donated by the federal and state governments, the bishopric and metropolis of Mainz. Works of artwork, such as the enthroned God the Father from the 15th century, or the late Gothic sculpture of St. Anne, the Virgin and the Christ Child, should also not be ignored. For some years in St. Stephen’s, kids have been baptised in the original Gothic baptismal font from 1330 again. Marc Chagall, who grew to become an honorary citizen of Mainz, however never got to know the town, completed his final window shortly before his demise at the age of 97. Nineteen later and intentionally extra modest windows in the aspect aisles by Charles Marq, from the Atelier Jacques Simon in Reims, serve to steer up to the masterpieces.
St. Stephen’s is the one German church for which the Jewish artist Marc Chagall ( ) created home windows. Born in Russia, the artists spent the longest period of his life in France. Blue mild shines by way of the stained glass into the interior of St. Stephen’s, and never solely angels but other Biblical figures transfer apparently ethereally on this light. Today, the house of God presents itself as a clearly arranged hall church with a nave and two side aisles during which the Gothic vaults have not but been restored. The partitions are completed in white with the purple sandstone of the supporting architectural elements forming a beautiful distinction.